June 8, 2009

Easy Livin'

The kids started summer camp last Monday, and it is a nice change of pace. They were so excited, even though they are not going anywhere different than during the school year. But the director makes it fun for them so it's a treat. Plus no uniforms, so there's a treat right there. In the first week, they had two karate lessons, picnic lunches on site and at a nearby park, Water Day and Keely's personal favorite - Nails Day. She was thrilled to have her fingers and toes painted, and I was thrilled to be relieved of the duty for a few days. They also provide lunches on Wednesdays, and this week they will be walking to McDonald's. The mornings are a lot less stressful mostly because we have about 10 extra minutes (school starts at 7:50 AM and camp doesn't open until 8 AM). Bedtimes are relaxed and it's real nice not to have homework to worry about getting done. Yes, it's summertime and the living is easy...only one thing is not cooperating, the weather!

Today was about 55 and rainy with just some pockets of sun. We've had afternoon thunderstorms most every day the past week or so, and I feel like I live back East again. I signed the kids up for swim lessons and they started today. Obviously they did not swim, they watched a safety video but I'm hoping they can get the rest of the week in the pool. I should have known signing them up in June for the first session, but I wanted to get it done before vacation (less than 3 weeks now!) and this was the only session that would work.

Quinn had a great soccer game on Saturday, and they have one more left. He scored a goal and the team got their first tie, significant to Quinn not for his goal but for a non-loss :) It was a really competitive game and gave us a glimpse of next season because we were playing other 1st graders instead of getting creamed by 2nd graders. Next season, the teams in the league will all be 2nd grade boys as will all of the kids on our team.

So that's what has been going on here in the rainy Utah June weather. I'd complain more if I didn't know that one day in late June or early July, it will get sunny and be 90 and then it won't rain until September! Besides, we need the water so I'll deal.

1 comment:

Linda said...

It will be nice once summer arrives!