

Probably the main reason I haven't been posting that much is that I am enthralled with this book series. I got hooked on a new HBO series, True Blood that aired last summer. Season 2 is about to start up and it reminded me that this TV show is based upon a series of books. So I ordered the first seven books in a boxed set from amazon.com for a reasonable $32.
I am now through the first 4, shown above (well, I have about 40 pages left in Book 4 but I expect to finish tonight). I find I like the books better than the show. Probably a large reason for that is with the show, you have to wait week to week to find out what happens next and the books provide instant gratification. I fly through them once I get started, and I find I am having to pace myself just so I don't finish them all too soon. I was hoping to have some of these left to read on vacation but it's not looking like they will last that long :)
For those who watch the show, the first book is basically the first season and they stayed very true to the plot. They did embellish certain characters for dramatic purposes but the basics are the same. I am so curious to see if the second season unfolds like the second book.
I really like the books, and that surprises me for two reasons. First, I don't typically like fantasy books. The premise of the books is vampire & mystery. I like mystery, but vampires are new. The first four books have gotten more and more into fantasy, covering creatures like werewolves, fairies, witches, maenads, and shapeshifters (people that change into animals on the nights of the full moon). Second, this is the closest thing I have read to a steamy sex novel. There are lots of sex scenes in the books, and it's vampire sex so that makes it even more steamy. Don't get me wrong, the sex is not dominant but it is a recurring part of the books. There is a lot of humor in these books too, and I often find myself laughing out loud and having to explain to James why I'm laughing.
So, I'm definitely hooked and have already ordered the next two books. Her newest will be out in October, so there will come a point when I am stuck for new Sookie reading. But until then, I am having fun reading along to find out what happens to her next :)
No comments:
Post a Comment