August 4, 2008

Family Visits and The Improved Fence

The last week has been busy and eventful, with the arrival of first Grandma and Grandpa on Tuesday and then Nana on Thursday. I had to work :( so James did most of the entertaining. The first day, they went to Bingham Canyon Mine on the west bench of the Salt Lake Valley. This is a picture of Keely with Grandpa, taken by Quinn I believe.
The next day, they went up to Snowbird and did the same thing we did last Sunday (see Snowbird post). I liked this picture of Quinn and Grandpa on the way up the chairlift.
The highlight of that trip (at least it would have been for me if I was there) was this mom and baby moose drinking water from a pond. The moose must know that there are less people around on the weekdays :)
Friday, they went up to Silver Lake in Big Cottonwood Canyon. I don't have any pictures of that though. With all the family in town, James and I took advantage of free babysitting and spent the night in downtown SLC. We stayed at the Hilton, and were lucky to get bumped up to the Executive Level. That means good views, free appetizers and breakfast, and mostly free (non alcoholic) drinks. We partook in a few appys and drinks (of the charged, alcoholic variety) before heading to dinner. We ate at Bambara and had a lovely, very delicious dinner. We swam in the hotel pool, ordered dessert for room service and had an uninterrupted night's sleep (ah, the things you appreciate once you have kids). The next morning, we walked to the local Farmer's Market and bought some goodies for the weekend ahead. After that relaxing night, it was back to reality and the task of replacing the last stretch of old fence in our backyard. This replacement included 3 trips to Lowe's, 255 cedar boards, 750 screws, several 2x4's, and a new post (all totaling a lot of money). And not to mention, about 25 hours of labor combined over 2 days with 4 people helping over the course of it all. Here's a couple of views of how it used to look...
And now, here's the finished product. The first is the view from the kitchen window, which now looks TONS better when I look up from washing dishes.
And here are a couple of views from each side. Please excuse the otherwise unfinished backyard, we are in process of several backyard renovations at once -- including killing off all the grass for future xeriscaping, and a new patio.

So that's it. Grandma and Grandpa are now in the Grand Canyon for the week and will return on Saturday. Nana will be here for a couple more days, helping out with the kids and household duties (thanks, Mom!). On the triathalon training front, I did a 30 minute run last Tuesday and then promptly fell out of the routine with all the family (hey, that's my story and I am sticking to it!). Today I righted the ship and did 30 minutes on the bike and then 10 minutes on the treadmill to see how that feels (the hardest transition is bike to run because your legs are said to feel like bricks). I'm hoping to keep going here more consistently since the race is less than 5 weeks away now.

2 comments:

Linda said...

erin the fence looks great! I still want to see photos with your mom as well. Keep training.....at least you have not given up despite the interruptions of family and such.

Unknown said...

How are you with swimming?

P.S. I'm so jealous you have a yard.