August 25, 2008

Book Review: The Art of Mending

Catching up on books I have recently read, this one was sitting on my nightstand for a few months since I brought it home from my mother-in-law at her suggestion when we were in NJ in May. She seems to have a knack for selecting books that I will enjoy. Of course, this one wasn't too much of a stretch for me since I have read other books by Elizabeth Berg and enjoyed them (Open House is one that comes to mind). This one is a quick read, since the plot is fairly straight forward and only takes a few twists. It's about an adult woman who goes back to her family's yearly gathering at an annual fair and finds more out about her family that she intends. I can't say much more about it other than it starts with her sister asking for a dinner with just the narrator and their brother to talk about things that happened to her when she was a child. It ends up being an eye opening experience for the narrator, and a life changing visit for the entire family. I recommend it, especially if you haven't read her books before. They are a treat, and I finished this one in about 2 days because I couldn't put it down.

1 comment:

Anna said...

I like Elizabeth Berg too, she's fun and easy to read. I'll have to go pick this one up...