August 25, 2008

Book Review: The Art of Racing in the Rain


The second of the books I have read in the last two weeks (read post below for the first review) is this book that James found for me and knew I would like. This book is written from the perspective of a dog, who thinks like a human and firmly believes he will be reincarnated into a human upon his death. It is the story of his master and his family's life, from the perspective of their dog. It starts with the end, as the dog is nearing his date with death at an old age (for a dog) and then goes back to the beginning and tells the story of his life, or his life first with just his master and then wife and daughter eventually. I think that any of you with a pet, but especially a dog, will enjoy this book because it's humorous but serious and makes you wonder if there's more to your dog than just a faithful companion. It's not a surprise to me (or James obviously) that I liked it, I've also read other books about dogs...Marley & Me and The Dogs of Babel come to mind. All I can say is, if you like dogs, you will enjoy this book. It was also a quick read, and I finished it quickly because I enjoyed following along with life through the dog's eyes.

And now I have just realized something about these two books. They both have titles starting with "The Art Of...". This reminds me of Ryan, my brother in law, who reads books in threes. He starts with a book and then reads two more that are connected by a part of the book or another aspect of the subject of the book...or something like that. Maybe he can comment and tell me what it is. But the titles of these books struck me as funny, and now I think I will find a 3rd book with a title that starts with the same words. Just to complete the trifecta, as Ryan does. Although I don't think he usually picks books in threes because of the titles but oh well. It's my world here and I'll make up my own rules :) Now I am off to search for another interesting book titled "The Art Of"...stay tuned!

1 comment:

Anna said...

I don't know of a good "art of" book but you should read "Colter: The True Story of the Best Dog I Ever Had" by Rick Bass. I loooove Rick Bass, he was a student of my mom's at USU years ago and I love the way he writes.