When we arrived, we headed out to see Crazy Horse Memorial. James has already been on a work trip and we've known a bit about it but I really enjoyed visiting and learning more about the progress and history. I learned that it is much more than a sculpture in a mountain, but a tribute to Native American Indians and its ultimate build out includes a university and medical center. I hope that I can be around to see this memorial come to completion, but it seems like such an impossible task.
May 27, 2011
Stop #2: Custer, SD
Today we drove about 400 miles, mostly in Wyoming until we reached the Black Hills in South Dakota. The drive itself was pretty uneventful. The kids had their good moments, and not so good moments. James took these pictures in one of the quieter moments...
The animals were well behaved. They pretty much slept the whole trip. Rudy in the front passenger seat on either James or my lap, and Callie in the back on her dog bed. The first night in a hotel was good too, except when Callie started hearing voices in the hallways early in the morning and began growling and getting up to check out the source of the noise. She was coaxed back to sleep, but she made for an early wake up call so we ended up getting on the road by 8 AM, not a bad thing at all. We made it to Custer by 3:30 PM and our only stops were for a potty break and then lunch. All in all, not too bad!
When we arrived, we headed out to see Crazy Horse Memorial. James has already been on a work trip and we've known a bit about it but I really enjoyed visiting and learning more about the progress and history. I learned that it is much more than a sculpture in a mountain, but a tribute to Native American Indians and its ultimate build out includes a university and medical center. I hope that I can be around to see this memorial come to completion, but it seems like such an impossible task.
Next we headed to Mount Rushmore. To be honest, it almost pales in comparison to Crazy Horse (Mount Rushmore could fit in just the head of Crazy Horse!). I wonder how many people who visit Mount Rushmore actually venture the 20 minutes over to Crazy Horse. In any event, there's not much to see at Mount Rushmore besides the actual monument. It's pretty cool to see because you get close to it, but we were only there for about 30 minutes. I'm glad to say we've been there, since it's highly unlikely we will get to this part of the country again anytime soon. The Black Hills are really pretty too, lots of pine trees and it sort of reminds me of Oregon.
We ate dinner at the German restaurant at our hotel, and it was very tasty. Now we are all pooped after a long day, and we're going to try and get a good night's rest to prepare for our longest day of driving tomorrow.
When we arrived, we headed out to see Crazy Horse Memorial. James has already been on a work trip and we've known a bit about it but I really enjoyed visiting and learning more about the progress and history. I learned that it is much more than a sculpture in a mountain, but a tribute to Native American Indians and its ultimate build out includes a university and medical center. I hope that I can be around to see this memorial come to completion, but it seems like such an impossible task.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment