February 18, 2009
One Step Forward, Two Steps Back
I was the result of what is called a reduction in force, or a layoff. When this happens, the person often goes through the stages of grief associated with a death. Simply, the stages are denial, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance. I was lucky in that I had time to mentally prepare myself for the layoff and therefore thought I had gone through most of those stages. I had gone through denial, anger, bargaining (why not this person instead of me?), and a pretty rough down time and felt I was on my way to acceptance. I need to be there if I can be productive in my new job search and move on fully with my life. However, something happened last night that set me back to anger. I spoke with a former co-worker and was told some information about the office structure without me, I am not going to get into the details because it wouldn't make sense if you are not intimately familiar. But let's just say it had me right back to anger, and thus consumed me for most of the night. This information had me questioning the decision to even go work at this company in the first place, questioning the decisions I had made while I was there, and frankly thinking wrongful termination. Of course no one wins when lawyers get involved (except the lawyers) so I really don't think I want to go there. What I will do is ask the person to no longer inform me of happenings in the office, and I will move on. I will not let this get me down, I will be strong and rid myself of this anger. I am a mature person, and I can realize that this layoff was really the best thing to happen to me. Despite all of the information that I am hearing, despite knowing that I did not deserve my fate, I still would not want to be working there anymore. I was lied to and treated unfairly but I can move on and go to a better place. What they don't realize is that I am a very competitive person and now I want to move to another firm, do exceptionally well, and show them that letting me go was the worst mistake they ever made. And now that I have all of that off my chest, hopefully I can move back to acceptance and continue to get on with my life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment