February 9, 2009

The New Normal

Today was the first official day of unemployment for me. I actually was glad not to be going back to work, but then I kept getting scared feelings that I had to push away. The early morning was normal, getting the kids up and ready to school at 8 AM. Then it was back home to work, reminiscent of the first year we lived here when I worked at home. I hope I was productive with my 3 hours alone, I updated my resumes, applied online for two jobs and made a few phone calls to contacts. I got in touch with a few people, and was semi disturbed by the responses. There is just not much out there in the engineering field right now, specifically civil consulting. Which I guess is also semi refreshing to me because the thought of going to just another consulting firm makes me sort of ill. So I am forced to think outside the box, but hoping that the horrible economy doesn't make me unmarketable in a new line of work. Anyways, 3 hours went quickly and then it was time to pick up Keely. She and I then have 4 hours until we pick up Quinn. We ran some errands, did some housework and cleaned her room. We got Quinn at 3 PM and then it started snowing like mad. But wait a few minutes and the weather changes...then he spent an hour or so riding around the neighborhood on bikes and scooters with one of his classmates who lives around the corner. I had plenty of time to prepare dinner, with no rushing to get anything done. It was nice and the day went fairly quick. Keely is going to drive me batty though, she tests me constantly and then tells me I'm always yelling at her (not true, just her perception). So that's it, now I'm off to write a brief essay on my views of America...for another job application, not for fun. Tomorrow, I will be volunteering in Quinn's classroom and then lunchroom/playground duty. I'm looking forward to it!

No comments: