Can you believe that the days and weeks go by just as fast when you are not working as when you are? Well, saying I am not "working" is not true. Motherhood in itself is a job, and a full time one at that. The only time I get to myself is from 8-11 AM and that goes quickly. I made a lot of progress on the job front this week and by Friday, I was ready for a break. I applied for 8 open positions, submitted 5 resumes to other contacts, and also contacted 18 people by phone. My affiliation with ASCE has done nothing for my marketing, but is excellent for peer networking which is just what I need at this point. That said, I am not limiting myself to engineering. I have also applied for and researched a few education (i.e. teaching) options. I definitely want to have a Plan B in case this engineering market is worse than I think and nothing pans out.
Okay, so back to the week...I survived my first of being a stay at home mom and was probably not as happy of a camper at the end of the week as I was at the beginning. It's just not in my nature to stay at home, I am a better mom when I work. But it's okay, and I am trying to enjoy this break as much as possible. Volunteering in Quinn's class was fun, and I will be signing up again. It was also a nice longer break from Keely that we both needed. She and I had several battles throughout the week, and she will be breaking the bank by changing her outfit 18 times a day so that I have to do more laundry than usual. She takes this so much more lightly than Quinn, and while she knows that I'm not working anymore, she doesn't think any more deeply than that. Quinn though thinks a lot more about it, and suggests jobs for me. He also prayed for me in school, and I was touched by that. He is such a tender hearted child and I hope he stays that way as he ages!
An upside to this break is that I am exercising more, I worked out 6 of the last 8 days, most of those doing 30-35 minutes of cardio. But the downside is that I have more time for cooking and baking, so I'm eating all these yummy (and probably fatty) things.
Alright, into another week we go. The kids have off tomorrow for President's Day, and then back to school and the weekly routine. We leave for a quick weekend trip to Denver on Friday and we are all looking forward to that! It should be another quick week, and I hope to finish off contacting the rest of my accumulated contact list and apply for another few jobs before the week is out. Then the tough part will begin, the waiting for someone to call. That is the hardest for me because I hate being out of control with anything in my life!
No comments:
Post a Comment