January 19, 2009

Life in an Inversion, and Other Things

Around this time of year, we have the pleasure (not!) of experiencing a weather phenomenon called an inversion. This is a valley surrounded by mountains almost on all sides, and when we are without storms for a while, the air in the valley becomes stagnant. And not just air, but bad things that are in the air as well. So what we end up with is smog, sort of like a soup bowl with everything settled in the bottom. What we need to fix it, at least temporarily, is a storm with rain or snow to mix up the air and return us to our beautiful blue skies. I can't even see the mountains across to the west end of the valley. We haven't had any major storms in what seems like weeks, I'm wanting to say even since the holidays. And there aren't any projected until mid to late this week. This is a particularly bad one, I can't remember one this bad in a couple of years. I think this is my least favorite part of living here, and I can't believe I am saying that I want snow but I do.

So what do we do when we really can't be outside? Well, there's not much to do! Today the kiddos had off for school, and James was off too. I unfortunately had to work but they had a fun day without me :( They went to the movies (Paul Blart: Mall Cop...they all liked it, but the kids thought it was really funny and James just said it was okay funny) and then out to lunch at McDonald's. The rest of the weekend was pretty typical for this time of year, and we mostly stayed indoors. We actually went to the mall, something we rarely do unless we have a specific purpose, just to get some walking in. So that's it, just the winter doldrums so to speak.

We are also planning our vacations for the year. So far, it's shaping up this way. Next month, we will head to Denver for an SME conference that James is attending. Just a quick weekend trip. In April, we are tentatively planning to travel to Orlando and Melbourne, FL to visit Aunt Lois and Uncle Ryan for Easter weekend. Our big trip will be in June/July when we will take a two week trip back East. It starts in Asheville, NC where we will be with James for another conference (ah, the life of a professor lol). We'll spend 3-4 days there and we will revisit things we saw on our first anniversary almost 9 years ago! The next 3-4 days are unknown, we hope to visit Blacksburg and maybe DC, but are not set on these plans at all. Then, the piece de resistance will be a week at the beach. This part is not set either, but the wheels are in motion and hopefully we will know where we will be staying in 2-3 weeks. This has been Grandpa's idea for a number of years, since the family took a trip to the NC beaches something like 30 years ago and hopefully now it will be coming to fruition. We're excited for it and hoping it all works out! The last thing that is planned for the year will be a trip to NJ in November, when I will serve as Danielle's confirmation sponsor. I am honored that she chose me and wouldn't miss it for the world! Somewhere in there, James and I celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary and I am afraid it is shaping up without much fanfare. Perhaps we will try to squeeze in a long weekend in Vegas or California. We'll see!

Wow, this was longer than I thought it would be so I guess I had more to say than I thought I would. That's life in an inversion :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay! Can't wait to see you! I can't wait untill november because my CCD will be over! Yes! It's like soooo boring but it'll be fun, although I still have to go because my mom will prbally be mike's CCD teacher and she wants me to be a helper! I guess its better than accually having to learn it!