January 20, 2009

History in the Making

Today was obviously a very historic day for our nation. The kids are old enough to understand and follow the election process, and are happy that the country chose Obama to be our president. Keely was able to watch the swearing in on a TV in her Pre-K class. We know this to be true, not just because she said so (she has a history of telling fibs) but because we peppered her with questions about the event and she was able to answer all correctly. She knew what color tie Barack was wearing, what color dress Michele was wearing, that Michele held the Bible, and that Barack held his other hand in the air while he recited the words. Unfortunately, Quinn did not watch in his classroom but I guess each teacher had a choice and since they had their weekly mass this morning, it's probably a busy day to crunch in their work with that hour out of their day. I gathered with co-workers in our conference room to watch. Several times during the speech, I got chills from the inspiration with which he speaks. I am hopeful for our nation, under this new president. I realize that one man cannot make a difference and it will take some time to make change happen, but hopefully just a positive vibe will emanate from this newness and maybe that spark will begin to improve the nation and our economy. To quote one of my favorite movies, "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things." And I have great hope for the future of our nation for our sake and our children's sake. And if you can tell me what movie that line is from, I will give you a prize :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I watched it to! But some other teacher came in because there was another class in her class room, so she had to bring her class into mine, and I don't know if it's just that she has bad kids in her class or that shes just evil but she was yelling at people the whole time. I didn't really get much out of it =( but I did see the speeches!

Courtney said...

I think its Shawshank Redemption...which is one of the best movies ever. Did I win a prize.:-)

Courtney

epd said...

Great, Danielle...I am glad you got to see it. And thanks for your comments again!

Ah, Courtney you speak the truth. I know most every word of that movie, and it is a great classic. Of course Morgan Freeman could recite a grocery list and it would be motivational :) So I didn't really think anyone would get the line, and now I do owe you a prize but I hadn't thought that far ahead. Me thinks this plan was not very well thought out :( I'll think of something...

Courtney said...

Ha - No prize is needed. I'm just happy I got it. I love that movie as well. I know most of the words in it. Only movie I knew every word to was Pretty Woman. ;P

epd said...

Of course, I will never forget reciting Pretty Woman lines with you, Court :)