
The first one was 90 Minutes in Heaven, by a minister named Don Piper. He was nearly killed, actually was clinically dead for 90 minutes and experienced the glories of Heaven in that time before he was brought back to life. No one was administering CPR on him, there was just another minister praying for him and his return without major brain or internal injuries. The prayers worked, and although he had numerous hurdles to overcome in his recovery, he had no major internal injuries and no brain damage. This is a true account of his time in Heaven, and then his recovery and how he has used this experience to help others. He's a minister, as I said, so that part makes me a little cynical. Especially since his version of Heaven is fairly stereotypical. Cynicism aside though it was an uplifting story about a recovery and how his story has helped others feel more comfortable about loved ones dying, and their own impending deaths. My fear of death, which most likely translates to a fear of the unknown leads me to be intrigued by this topic and what it has to bring. I recommend it, but it may go against certain religious beliefs.

The second one I just finished, and read really quickly, is The Giver by Lois Lowry. My friend Linda was telling me about reading this book with her 11 year old daughter and she just knew I would like it. She was right :) Plus when I found out it was by Lois Lowry who I read when I was a teen, I was even more excited. It was a great book, totally deep though and I left it wondering how an 11 year old would take it. It's a story of a community in the future, sort of like a "Big Brother" scenario where pretty much everything is controlled by "government". The more I think about it and the ideas it presents, the deeper it penetrates into everything we hold dear as humans and individuals. This sounds vague, I know but trust me and read it. And I was so pleased when Linda told me about the two sequels...so I will be moving on to them next!
1 comment:
I will now need to read 90 Minutes in Heaven. Not sure if it is something I will like but I will give it a "shot." Glad you liked The Giver. It is the only book that has stayed with me. Ithink about it often and how it would be to live such a life. Thanks for the reviews!
Post a Comment