November 24, 2008

Charity

We attended the noon mass yesterday. At the end, there were a flurry of announcements for holiday giving -- i.e. food banks, Christmas tree ornaments with needs for families, and lastly a service project that two 8th graders are doing to collect socks for the homeless. That seemed like an easy enough thing to do and we were headed to Target after mass anyways. So while there we picked out 10 pairs each of mens', boys' and girls' socks.


This was the resulting conversation at the checkout counter:


Keely to the cashier: "Will you please put those socks in a separate bag for me?"


Me to the cashier: "No, that's okay."


Me to Keely: "Keely, those socks are not for you. They are for charity."


Keely to me: "Who's Charity???"


Me to Keely: "Charity is a thing, not a person sweetie."

So funny what children say. I am still laughing when I hear her say it in my head :) Obviously, I then did a little more explaining about people less fortunate than us, etc. The kids already know about it from our giving to DI and some of the service projects they've done at school. I talk to my kids like I do to adults and sometimes I have to remember to use smaller words!

No comments: