July 27, 2008

Snowbird

This weekend in SLC was H-O-T, HOT! We actually turned our A/C on for the first time all summer and that's notable. We spent most of Saturday at the pool (with a couple of Home Depot trips mixed in) and today, the place to be was up in the mountains! For those out of area, we can drive 20 minutes and lose at least 10 degrees, if not more by just heading up one of the canyons adjacent to the Wasatch Front. Today, we headed up to Snowbird in Little Cottonwood Canyon after church for some relief from the heat. Once we got up there, we decided to take the Peruvian Chair Lift and Tunnel over to Mineral Basin. We've never once been up there when it's ski season but this tunnel was put in last season to open up a whole new area of skiing. It's fun to take the chair lifts in the summer, opening up views and hiking galore. Here we are at the entrance to the tunnel, Keely being a silly girl.

And here's a view out the other side of the tunnel. This is a pretty cool mining and civil engineering achievement so it appeals to James and me both.
Once we got to the other side, we decided to hike up a ways to get a view from the saddle to both sides of the valley. It wasn't a long hike, and here's Keely posing for the camera on the way up. Notice she's actually wearing shoes and socks, which is a huge accomplishment for us!
Here we are hiking up, and now Keely is tiring a bit but still walking.
Finally, I had to resort to putting her on my shoulders -- imagine walking uphill with 40 lbs. extra weight on your shoulders! Notice how annoyed and tired I look in this picture. But we made it to the top and she walked the whole way back down to the tunnel.

Then it was time to travel back down by chairlift. James snapped this shot unbeknownst to me or Quinn.
We made it down just in time, there were thunderstorms moving through the valley and they were headed up into the canyon.
Try as we might, we couldn't find any excited wildlife on the hike or looking down from the chair lift. We did spot these two little ones, but were disappointed not to see any deer or moose. Oh well, maybe next time!

Lastly, I wanted to post a couple of really cute pictures from last weekend, while we were reading before bed one night.
Grandma and Grandpa arrive on Tuesday AM, and then Nana on Thursday night. Also, another thing to note...I have officially begun training for a mini triathlon. It is 6 weeks away and I am hoping to get in shape with a training schedule I found. To start, I did 30 minutes on the treadmill tonight. I'm hoping that by recording my progress, I will stick to the training and complete the race on September 6th. For those curious, a mini triathlon is a 400m swim (in a pool in this case), 9 mile bike ride, and 5k run (3.1 miles).

1 comment:

Linda said...

Erin you have opened another door for me. I was aware of the tunnel but had no idea you could go through it / ride it during the summer months?? I will be checking in with you on this one for more details. Enjoy your weekend with the family!