I've grown to not like taking the kids to the doctor when I think there is something wrong with them, or they are complaining of something. I typically end up feeling like I wasted a co-pay to hear that it's "viral" or "just wait it out". I guess I have the peace of mind from it but it's a battle to know when and when not to make that appointment. I've even made and then canceled an appointment in like 20 minutes...boy, those receptionists must think I am nuts!
Yesterday was the kids' annual well child checkups with Dr. G. I just love this doctor, she is great. Very practical and gives great advice. She is hard to get in with though so we usually only see her at this one appointment each year. Side Note: Quinn was upset to miss music to go, but I told him there was no way I was canceling since it would be at least 6 weeks before we could get in with her. And she's booking out to February already, so that was a good decision! Anyways, here are the stats.
Quinn at 9 Years: 61 lbs, 52.5"
Keely at 7 Years: 45 lbs, 47"
They both checked out well. No vaccinations and I denied the flu shot as I usually do. At these ages, it's mostly a time to ask questions. I had one major thing for each child.
My concern with Quinn was his nosebleeds that he has been getting more frequently. She advised us to use Vaseline on the inside of his nose to keep it moist and hopefully cut down on the bleeds. If that doesn't work, she will send us to an ENT. It's not that frequent (maybe 1-2 times per month) so I don't think it will come to that.
Keely seems to always complain of a belly ache and sore throat, and she has started clearing her throat a lot. When the doctor came in, she had already seen the nurse's notes about my comments. She said it was like she was reading a textbook, the symptoms completely matched something diagnosable and treatable. I shouldn't be happy about this, but I am because it means we can do something about her complaints! She has a textbook case of....wait for it....Acid Reflux! I totally suspected this but I wondered if it was common or treatable for a 7 year old. Well, it totally is and now we are armed with a 90 day prescription of an acid blocker so her little tummy and throat can heal fully. We'll see Dr. G again in February to see how the meds worked and also check her weight (she's been almost stagnant this past year, possibly due to the acid reflux making her not want to eat as much). Mystery solved. Co-pay justified. Sometimes it works out :)
No comments:
Post a Comment