October 31, 2010

Happy Halloween!

Today was Halloween, but to us it was just another Sunday. Chalk it up to another Utah quirk, we can't trick or treat on Sunday. Today was like a ghost town. I tried to make our home look inviting to trick or treaters but there were none to be found. Last night was the understood designated celebration of the holiday. We didn't even have that many trick or treaters though. I'm left with lots of leftover candy. The weather was not great, a little rainy but the rain held off for most of the popular time.
We started our weekend of celebrating the holiday with the Blessed Boo Ha Ha event at the kids' school on Friday night. There was trick or treating at all the classroom doors, a box maze, and food and music in the gym. This was the second year that this event was held, but we missed last year since we were in New Jersey. To be honest, we didn't miss much. I was on security detail so we stayed the duration and the kids ran around with their friends. Keely trick or treated the classrooms at least 3 times and I had to take her treat bag away or she would have eaten half of it before we got home.
Their costumes: Keely was a senorita. She found the red dress at Target and we accessorized with black heels (to be reused for Christmas), bead necklaces, and black gloves.
Quinn was a hybrid of years past with a new light saber. He didn't dress up for the school day, mostly because they didn't allow masks or weapons and his costume revolved around just those two things with a ninja twist so I guess he didn't see the point. I swear though he was the only child of 300+ not wearing a costume. That takes guts. No peer pressure for my boy! He wore his school uniform and told everyone he was a student :)
They trick or treated last night and this was the first year we let them go around the neighborhood by themselves. They had a walkie talkie and they were to stay together the whole time. It worked out fine, and they even checked back in once before going out to finish up a few more houses. Then they got tired, and came back home to give out the treats and review their bounty. We are flush with candy. And I have no office to bring it too...so the students at the U of U will probably be getting some!

I'm glad Halloween is over. It is most definitely not my favorite holiday and now we can look forward to Thanksgiving!

No comments: