October 23, 2010

Keely Clare Donovan

Since I wrote up Quinn's birth story, now I will turn my attention to Keely. No shorting that second child here :) Whereas Quinn's birth story was long and complicated, Keely's was quite the opposite yet the story starts very similarly.I had lots and lots of contractions with Keely. I was dilating early and often, so much so that by the time I was induced I was 4-5cm dilated and pretty well effaced. Yes, folks that means I was halfway there before I even went into labor. But it was not without effort. I would endure hours and hours of contractions only to have them stop (sound familiar?). This time though I was taking care of a 2 year old so I didn't have time to just sit and time those contractions. I figured that when it was time, I would know. I did however hope that with each doctor appointment my doctor would say, head on over to the hospital to have this baby! But that never happened.Because I had a C-Section with Quinn, I was scheduled for an induction. I really, really, really wanted to have a vaginal delivery with Keely and was so, so, so lucky to have a doctor that supported this desire (and a state that allowed it, some don't even let women try). I was a good candidate for VBAC (vaginal birth after ceasarean) because of my incision and history. I had to sign a waiver saying I understood the risk of uterine rupture but hey, that slight risk was worth not having to have another major surgery and a heavy recovery time.So, after all those weeks of contractions and dilation my scheduled induction date arrived. This was actually a good thing because Nana was able to fly in as planned to take care of Quinn while we were at the hospital. The morning of the induction, we were set to arrive at the hospital at 7 AM. When we got there, I was told there were no beds available and we were sent home. This was devastating. I knew the longer we waited to induce, the bigger she would get and the lesser the chance of me being successful with a VBAC. My doctor was only on call that day, and I had no idea when would be the next scheduled date for her to induce. There were just so many unknowns and I cried knowing that day might not be the day. We hung out at home, and later that morning got a call from the hospital saying to come over but then were almost immediately called back saying to stay home because a woman had just walked in dilated to 9cm. I was so depressed by this point, really thinking I was never going to have this baby (well, not really but a pregnant women is flush with emotion and everything seems like the end of the world at 39 weeks 5 days pregnant). We decided to go shopping and have lunch, and just as we were sitting down the hospital called again. They said to come in and I told them I was turning my phone off because there was no way they were calling back to cancel again!

We arrived at the hospital in the early afternoon and I remember being so excited to be there that I almost bypassed the registration desk and headed straight for an empty room. They got me all checked in and settled. Shortly thereafter the doctor came in to break my water and get labor going. I was already having contractions on my own. The water breaking was the trigger my body needed to finish this thing off, and quickly. My water was broke at about 4 PM. I also requested an epidural. This was the only hitch of the labor and delivery. The epidural did not work on my left side and they had to give me a spinal. So I ended up with a leg that felt like jelly...not even feeling like it was attached to my body. But I couldn't feel the labor pains. I also remember vividly having pain at my incision site and worrying about uterine rupture. My nurse was so patient and informative though, reassuring me that as long as the baby's heartbeat was strong and consistent there was no risk of uterine rupture.

I was ready to push by 8 PM. I did a practice push with the nurse and she told me to stop almost immediately because she could already see the head. I heard her call the doctor telling her to get in here now because I was a good pusher and it was not going to take long. Of course I was a good pusher, I had 3 hours practice with Quinn. The doctor came in and prepped for delivery. I pushed through 3 contractions and she was out in 20 minutes! It would have been faster but my contractions stopped for about 10 minutes in that time period. I was in total disbelief at this point, because although I had desperately wanted a VBAC I didn't know if it was possible. Three critical differences made it happen though -- (a) I loosened my pelvic bones with all the pushing in Quinn's delivery (b) she was in the right position and (c) she was small, well at least as far as my babies go. After my experience I am such a proponent of VBAC and am so grateful that was an option for me. Truly the stars all lined up for it to happen though and I'm sure one small change would have made me have a repeat C-section delivery.

So without further adieu, I present the baby who was so ready to meet the world that she flew out of the womb, and hasn't stopped going since :)

Keely Clare Donovan
October 23, 2003 8:20 PM
8 lbs. 3 oz.
20.5" long

No comments: