May 10, 2010

Zoo Time


Every year, the 1st through 4th grades take an end of the year field trip to the zoo. They always ask for parent chaperones, but I am usually working or figure that there lots of other moms who will sign up. This year, I decided to throw my name in the hat for this trip -- and I was chosen! Quinn was super excited on Thursday when I picked him up, letting me know right away that I was to be one of the parent chaperones for his class. The trip was today and it was a lot of fun. I was given 5 2nd graders to escort around the zoo for the day. At the beginning I was wondering how we would occupy ourselves for 5 hours in the zoo. After all I'd never spent more than 2 hours there with just my own kids. But never fear, we did just fine and ended up having a great time. We spent the morning exploring each and every animal exhibit, then played on the playground for a bit. Before we knew it, lunchtime was upon us. After eating, we waited for front row seats to the bird show. I've never seen the show before but it is worth the time and a bit of a wait. There was some fantaastic birds and they were very entertaining. I had such a good group of kids -- 3 boys and 2 girls -- and it was nice to have the opportunity to spend an entire day with Quinn and his friends. The weather was cold and rainy initially but God smiled upon us (I joked that he knew the Blessed Sacrament kids were going to be at the zoo) and we didn't get rained upon once except for a passing shower during the bird show. The sun shined and the temperatures were mild. All in all, a great day at the zoo!

No comments: