September 2, 2009

Only My Daughter...

I never know what I will hear when I pick Keely up at the end of a given day at school/EDP. Sometimes it's news about how she misbehaved. On Monday she tried to kiss a boy (although vehemently denied it to us!), tried to lock a teacher in the bathroom (well, not really lock but just hold the door shut), and one other thing that escaped the teacher's memory. But I never would have guessed what they told me today. She lost a shoe! How does a child lose one shoe?!?! Seriously, I have no idea but she managed to do it. She was on the playground and kicked off her shoes when she was hanging from the bar. They were both on the ground below her and then 30 seconds later, one was missing! The theories about where the shoe is range from buried in the sand in one of the holes the boys were digging to being taken home accidentally by a girl's father who was picking his daughter up about that time. So tomorrow I have to call the office and ask the secretary to let me know if anyone digs up a Size 11 Unlisted Black Slip On Girls Shoe while at recess...they are going to think I am nuts :) Lucky she has a pair of school approved shoes from late last year that are not in that bad of condition to wear until we (hopefully) find the other shoe.

In other Keely news, she is a challenge to her teacher in Kindergarten. But she is absolutely thrilled to be there...one night while looking at her work from the day, she exclaimed "I can't believe I am actually in Kindergarten!" :) Her behavior was fine the first week but on Day 6, she went to RED on the teacher's behavior stoplight. That's two offenses and cause for a note to be sent home. Then this week we get another note saying that she is now sitting by herself since her concentration is much better that way. This was cause for concern to us (although Keely thinks it's grand) so I called the teacher the next day. It's actually a good thing because she needs to evaluate Keely and she was having trouble doing that since she's chatty with her neighbors. She works so much better now, finishes her work early and now the teacher can see how smart she is thus placing her at the right table (they group them according to similar skill sets). She will stay at her own table this week and next, then back to group table the following week. She needs to learn to do her own work and not chat with friends. She is very social girl and that's a hindrance when you sit in groups. Even Quinn had trouble with chatting in K. So hopefully her transition back to the tables will go smoothly and we can get into a good groove with her. But I really never know, and can only hope she behaves herself!

Also, I signed her up for soccer today. She will be playing on a team with 7 other Kindergartners from her school on Tuesday nights. She's excited and wore her uniform the whole night :) I also may sign her up for a drama class on Friday afternoons...she is just so artistic and creative that I think it would be a good outlet for her since singing and dancing suit her so well!

So that's the update on Keely...oh and one more thing, I got a phone call from the school on my cell today about lunchtime and thought oh no, who's sick? But it was Keely just calling to say she missed me. We chatted for a couple of minutes and then she was off with a "Love You, Bye!". Guess she just needed a mommy fix, such a sweet girl :)

No comments: