September 14, 2009

RSL

As a part of soccer registration this season, Sandy City gave each player and one parent a free ticket to a Real Salt Lake game. We're fortunate to have an MLS team playing about 2 miles from our house yet we've never gone to a game. Since I am a coach, I also got a free ticket and Keely got one as part of her soccer registration. So bam...four free tickets! We went as a group with all 15 of Quinn's soccer team and their parents and siblings. I think we totaled some 70+ people in all! We all met up in a parking lot and walked over to the stadium together. The boys were going crazy with excitement, all in their team uniforms (Green Gators) and all siblings in uniforms as well. The reason for all that was the biggest coup our team's Coach was able to score...a trip down onto the field for the National Anthem!

The kids all went down with the other two coaches and waited for the opening announcements. They were to be a part of the 'Parade of Kings' onto the field with other local sports teams. Here they are walking out, see if you can spot Quinn.
They were to be on their best 'church' behavior when on the field and I think the size of the crowd and all the activity kept their wildness in check. I'd think it was pretty surreal to see 20,000 people all watching you :) Keely's in this one, right in front in her lavendar Butterfly (her team name) uniform.
Another one of the group...seriously they all look so calm, you can tell they are somewhat in shock :)
Walking back off the field after the Anthem, now they are loosening up a bit...
The boys mostly sat together in one row once they got back to our section of seats. We were in the 10th-12th rows on one corner of the field. We didn't really see Quinn since we were sitting at the other end of the section. He had a blast, here posing with his friends Jacob and Gabe.
This was our group...taking up the majority of three whole rows!
Keely and her friend Anneka, who is on her team had a blast too but I'm not sure they got much out of watching the actual soccer game. Also behind them are our friends Lilliana and Raul (Gabe's parents).
The game ended in a 1-1 tie. We all had a great time and I'm glad we went as a group and made it a team event. The stadium is gorgeous and I think we'll have to take advantage of it a little more often now that we know about it. I am glad though that we ate dinner before (burgers at Salt City...yummy) because just a bottle of water cost me $4! All in all, it was a fun time and I'd do it again :)

1 comment:

Linda said...

Erin did you know the kids would get this opportunity ahead of time? What a great experience for them. Keep on Kick'in!