April 20, 2009
TV Turnoff Week
Today was the first day of what the kids' school calls TV Turnoff Week. We have pledged to stay the entire week, until next Monday without the TV being turned on in our house. Let me say that we do not watch a lot of TV, especially during the week. The kids wake up and watch for 30-45 minutes while eating breakfast and getting dressed for school. That's it for the week, then Friday night we have movie night. On Saturday and Sunday, we usually watch some TV in the late afternoon and evenings. Oh, and I forgot that we have starting watching some TV on Thursday nights because the kids (and us too) like The Office and the new show, Parks & Recreation. James and I will usually watch TV from 9-10:30 PM, at which point I fall asleep sometime during the news and we go to bed. So let's calculate -- total of 20 hours max for the week. This morning was the first and I have to say it was quite pleasant. By the time I got downstairs, Quinn was all dressed and had already eaten breakfast (made entirely by himself...a bowl of cereal, but still all by himself). He helped James with feeding Callie, and then me making his lunch too. Keely ate breakfast at the counter and I helped her get dressed. All in all, it was a much calmer morning. I didn't have to fight for their attention from the boob tube. I didn't have to raise my voice once, and I even had time to eat breakfast. I think this might just be a change we make for good, not just this week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment