April 20, 2009

At Long Last

Quinn had his first soccer game on Saturday, 3 weeks late. The good news is that they will be making up the two rained (I mean, snowed) out games at the end of the season. The bad news is that it is supposed to rain again this Saturday :( Ah, Spring is such a fun season!

The team played well in their first game. Quinn played goalie, offense and midfield. He proclaims offense to be his favorite, as most kids do because that is where the glory of scoring goals usually originates. He did well and had fun, the most important part. Technically, they lost 1-0 but it was really a close game. As a parent and coach, it was particularly frustrating for me to watch kids that age try to play some semblance of the sport. I should clarify that as a parent who has played soccer, and one who played until I was nearly 22 and a senior in college, that it was particularly frustrating to watch. I played when I was 7 or so, but it is so hard to remember what that level of soccer looks like. I have now figured out why parents get so excited to watch their kids play in middle and high school...because they have likely suffered through years of watching them when it really doesn't look like soccer at all. Oh well, I am glad that they did well and had fun, and I will have to put my frustrations aside for the time being :)

No comments: