April 10, 2009

Looking Ahead

Earlier this week, I booked our airfare for the big trip to North Carolina in June/July. I had lackadaisically (I had to look up the spelling on that one!) looked before I lost my job, but it was far enough away that I knew it was too early to book. Then 2 months of no job and I didn't look at all. So back to work, and back to the search. And thanks to Delta for running a SkyMiles promotion that I'd been watching for, so I was on the road to a decision. We were able to use 4 free flights (well, not technically free because I had to transfer miles and pay for those transfers) and since the miles were the same regardless of destination, we are flying directly to and from our destinations. This cuts out 2 hours of driving each way on the flight in and out. I was able to snag some good flights into Asheville, and then out of Jacksonville. All said, we got $2000 worth of plane tickets for under $1000! So we're all set for our 2 week trip, at least on the airfare side. Now it's on to a rental car...oh, and the minor details of where we are staying for the first week. The second week is what we are most excited for...the pure luxury of the "beach or pool" vacation :) It has been so long since we had a true East Coast beach vacation, and we are so looking forward to it. Thanks to Grandma and Grandpa we will be staying at this house, Bay Breeze. So when I get wistful these days when I am supposed to be in Florida (we were planning to go for Easter before I lost my job, and I can honestly say that is the only reason I am sorry to not work there anymore...well besides missing my friends there), I think of this trip and this house, which are less than 3 months away now. And booking this airfare brings us one step closer to it :)

No comments: