Back in January, I wrote about a pinched nerve in my neck and how it was pretty painful for me. I thought I had it licked with rest, ibuprofen, heating pads and a new discovery of Tiger Balm (like Icy Hot but not as bad of a smell). Well, it's not gone though entirely liveable with pain ranging from nothing to minor to more major (but nothing like the initial hit). So it's been 6 weeks + and I finally decide a trip to the doctor would be in order to make sure there's nothing else I can do to make this go away. I saw a general orthopedist yesterday and it was a good visit, actually I am sorry I didn't go sooner. It is indeed a pinched nerve, most likely caused by a bulging disc in my neck. X-rays showed nothing except a perfectly healthy spine with good curvature and joint spacing :) I do have the pain though, and the doctor noticed I have some decreased muscle tone in my lower arm most likely from the nerve pinching and not flowing blood properly to the muscle. Definitely not a good thing. So he prescribed 10 days of Prednisone, a steroid that should help reduce the swelling in the disc and thus release the pressure on the nerve. I've never been on a steroid before, but I think I am seeing its effects after only one dose (definitely increased appetite!). I'm glad it is only a short time and hope it does the trick. The next step is a return visit to the doctor in 10 days, and then if it hasn't helped he will send me for an MRI to see exactly what's going on with those discs. I'm hoping we don't get that far.
So I know I am only 34, but when I asked the doctor what I did to cause this, he said it could have been nothing. You are just aging! :( I definitely don't like the sound of that. I do suspect it has something to do with sitting poorly in front of the computer since I started working from home - so I have taken steps to improve that. I constantly work on my posture, and I have set up a better home office (albeit in the dining room). At least we are not still showing the house because it looks pretty ugly. But it seems to be helping - and while I would love to have a job that does not require me to sit in front of a computer all day, I know that's not a reality so I will work with what I have. And count the days until I get back to an office at least most of the work days so I can get back to a normal desk, and have people to visit with and a printer and copier and water cooler to visit :)
No comments:
Post a Comment