March 1, 2011

Book Review: Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother

I hosted this month's book club meeting and chose Amy Chua's new book about her decision to raise her two daughters the Chinese way as a 'Tiger Mom'. I figured with us all being moms, it would make for interesting conversation and I was correct! This is a very quick read, which was a welcome change after the length and depth of our last choice, 100 Years of Solitude. The book centers around the author's parenting style and how it affects her two daughters. She makes some very controversial choices for her daughters and interestingly enough, the moms present at Book Club actually agreed with some (i.e. no sleepovers). I'd say the worst part of this book was the end, because she really didn't seem to know how to end it. So it was a pretty weak wrap up, and some would say not a wrap up at all. But all in all, I would recommend reading this book. It gives an interesting perspective on another type of parenting, and certainly incites some interesting discussion about parenting styles and childrens' personality types. Let me just say that Chinese parenting might work with Quinn, but I do know that I would struggle with Keely as the author did with her younger daughter!

I enjoyed hosting my second book club. In honor of the book's theme, I made Asian Inspired dishes for us to munch on...Asian Lettuce Wraps and Asian Cole Slaw. I served fortune cookies and strawberry shortcakes (yes, I know I broke from theme here) for dessert. We had our typical attendees and it was a lovely evening. I will miss these ladies. A book club is something I have always wanted to be a part of, and I have enjoyed this last year or so a lot with our monthly meetings, vastly different book choices and interesting conversation (some about the book, some not). It's just so nice to have a group of friends that you have easy conversation. We've talked about having me on Skype when I am in Virginia, but that's not the same as being there in person. There are certainly things I will not miss about Utah, but these friends and this book club are definitely among the things I will miss!

No comments: