January 12, 2011

Sick Days

We're having a whopper of a start of 2011. We just get Quinn's report card and remark at how he had perfect attendance in the 2nd quarter - Keely did too, actually I don't think they've missed a single day this year. It must have been a jinx!

It started with me actually. I was working as usual on Thursday afternoon, when I stood up from my computer to go get the kids and felt a pain in my neck (literally!). I thought I must have been sitting funny and that it would go away. Well, it didn't and only got worse. I had a horrible night's sleep and was in pretty bad pain Friday morning. I could barely turn my neck. James and I (with our expert doctor opinions) believe it is a pinched nerve in my neck. I decided to treat it with rest, ibuprofen, heating pads, Tiger Balm (like Icy Hot but without the bad smell) and more rest. It has gotten progressively better, but there is still pain. At least I can drive and function (I couldn't even fold a load of laundry) but it seems like it will take more than a week for it to go away completely. Ah, the joy of life in the 30s.

So I took a sick day on Friday and then Quinn began to get sick over the weekend. He ran a fever Saturday night off and on until Monday morning. He had a cough and sniffles to go with it. I kept him home on Monday and swore he was going back to school yesterday but then he woke up with a bad sore throat. So off to see Dr. G we went. He was swabbed for strep - negative. Today he is back to school and all would be normal but...

Keely started running a fever last night. She got what Quinn had, but of course not at the same time. She's hacking pretty bad and the fever was still there this morning although lower. She's home from school today.

So I'm staring down a week where I am wondering if I will get one whole day of work in. On the bright side, I have a lot of sick time built up. And since I work from home, I can still get a portion of work time in. Plus it's actually probably good for my neck pain that I am forced to stay off the computer and take care of the kids.

So that's the update from the Donovan household. Let's hope that we get these sickies out of our system and can enjoy the rest of 2011 :)

No comments: