We have been toying with the idea of getting rid of the cable and home phone in our household for a couple of months. Actually when I was unemployed, it was definitely something discussed as a "first to go" if a job didn't come to fruition when it did. The cost has crept up and up, and I tire of calling the cable company to get on another promotion that only ends up with me calling them back in another 6 months. Last week, after these 2 months of saying "oops, I forgot to call again", I called. The next step was to bring in the equipment and that solidified the deal. We did maintain the internet at the house, but as of Monday morning we are without a home phone (so those of you reading this who may not have gotten my e-mail, please delete that number from your phone book) and cable TV. James is going to figure out how to get us the local channels but in the meantime, we are sans TV.
The timing could not be more perfect because low and behold, what did I find in Quinn's backpack on Friday afternoon? The flyer for TV Free Week. We participated last year and I remember how wonderful that week was, particularly in the mornings. Having this week occur right after we rid ourselves of the cable is a blessing because TV is not even an option this week. So it will ease us into our new normal. My biggest worry was Quinn, who is slow to wake in the mornings and chills in front of the TV. Now he will have to put in a DVD or watch something on the computer. Keely is not really a TV watcher and as I have mentioned before, usually will just play a video on the portable DVD player (lately, her faves are old episodes of The Office -- yes, I know she's a funny child but she does have good taste!). I am thoroughly enjoying not watching the "Boob Tube" at nights after the kids are asleep, and now have more time for my favorite things...James and reading :) Not that those two are equal, but I am almost through my April book club selection and I just started it on Saturday.
It's funny how you think you "need" something but when it's gone, you don't even miss it. And I am a bit of a spendthrift, so now I am seeing $$ as I will watch the $100 lower bill roll in each month!
No comments:
Post a Comment