The book is set in rural Wisconsin in 1907 in the dead of winter (it was only fitting that it snowed while we were discussing it...yes, the winter that won't quit here in Utah!). An older man (I think he is in his late 40s or early 50s) places an ad in a newspaper for a 'reliable wife'. He gets many responses but chooses one particular because of how she responds. Turns out the picture she sent to him isn't even her, which he discovers as she gets off the train. That's just the first of many surprises that she has in store for him, but he has his own plans as well.
So in just my second month in book club, I picked a winner -- I recommend this book and am glad that the group enjoyed it. I can't wait to see next month's selection!
No comments:
Post a Comment