All moms know this stage and our family is no different. I can vividly remember Quinn going through the initial stages where I had to sneak out of the day care when he was about 9 or 10 months old so he wouldn't break down crying at my leaving. He also went through some more of it when Keely was just an infant, getting frantic when he left my side at a playground and then crying for me when it wasn't me who moved but him. So Quinn went through it in various stages of life and it's obviously over now for him.
Now Keely. I can not honestly remember her ever going through anything like it. She was the baby who would crawl into a stranger's lap and smile up at them, even when she realized it was not her mom or dad. With only a few exceptions, she never cried when I left her at a day care or preschool. She is adventurous and independent. She is the child who asked me please please please not to stay with her at birthday parties from the time she was 4 (and maybe even earlier). It was bound to come to an end I suppose. She has developed a case of separation anxiety. Calling to me in the house when I am not in her sight. Clinging to my side when at all possible. Crying when I leave her at camp at the school she has attended without any such incident since she started attending the school over a year ago. On Saturday she had a birthday party and I intended to drop her off as I've always done. No such luck, she was clingy and would not let me leave or be out of her sight. I was the only parent that stayed. This morning the kids started a week long camp at Wheeler Farm and I was absolutely dreading the dropoff because of said recent events. I talked to her about it last night and even asked Quinn to be a good big brother and help me when it came time for me to leave them. Turns out it was alright and she was fine. She just asked me to stay for two or three minutes and then I left with a promise to be there earlier than usual. I hope she has a fun day and that the next few dropoffs will be smooth. Next week is back to school and dropoff is easy as pie since they jump out of the car at curbside.
I sure hope she will grow out of this anxiety quickly. I guess I was just spoiled because she never went through it at a young age so I just presumed it wouldn't happen at all. Of course I should know better with Keely...she is not a textbook child! I guess I will just relax and enjoy this "neediness". As the mom of a 9 year old girl told me this weekend, enjoy it now because soon she won't want me near her in public claiming I am embarassing her :)
No comments:
Post a Comment