May 17, 2009

Lower Bell's Canyon

This little lizard was the entertainment of our hike today. The final tally was 11 lizards spotted, along with 2 squirrels, 1 bunny, 2 fighting ducks (yes, a duck fight in the air between two males) and 2 quail (but Quinn did not count those, apparently birds are not worthy of counting). All of this and a partridge in a pear tree :)

This weekend was glorious, almost summer like with good sunny weather and warm (actually hot) temps. There was only one thing to do today, embark on our first hike of the season. We chose one of our favorites, Lower Bells Canyon Reservoir (actually, Quinn and I chose -- James wanted to try something different but he caved). It was actually quite hot, and it took us all by surprise. I got quite sunburned on my arms, and even my legs -- the sun was probably an 11 on a 1 to 10 scale! Keely wore her bathing suit even though swimming is not allowed in the reservoir. I have a feeling she will be in one of her bathing suits from now until Labor Day if I let her!We found a nice shady spot to lay out our blanket and have the picnic lunch I had packed. Turkey, ham and cheese sandwiches, peanuts, fruit juice snacks and fresh cut watermelon :)
James is getting pretty good with setting the camera on a rock and setting the timer. This family picture came out really nice!
As is our tradition on this hike, we make the loop around the reservoir and then get to cross the water at one point. I don't think we've ever been up there when the water level was this high!
The kids took their shoes off, and the water was not too cold.
Then we were on our way, and Keely was complaining about being behind the rest of us so Quinn went back to get her. I had to snap this photo of the sibling love :)
And then they wanted me to take it from the front...
So that was our first hike of the 2009 season, and I am sure there will be many more to come this year. Keely did really well, walking almost the whole time. And the lizards and other animal sightings kept us all busy :)

No comments: