I am a bit behind, but I finished this book during TV Turnoff Week (which went fabulously well by the way, and some of the changes have become permanent in our house namely the new rule that the kids must be dressed before the TV is turned on in the mornings). I had bought this book just after Christmas for about $4 and finally picked it up to read. The title is fairly self explanatory, as the main plot of the book is a wedding happening in December. It is a group of friends that get together for a wedding of two people that were a couple in high school, but they split up and married other people and then met at their 25 year high school reunion and got back together (and we will ignore the fact that he was still married when they reunited). So the group of them who were so close in high school get back together, some of them not having seen each other for 27 years and you can imagine that things are mildly different. The twist is that one of their friends died in high school, and the details of that fateful night have never been revealed completely. Also the bride has cancer, and is unsure of the future with her new husband. It's a good enough story, but takes a while to get into it. I have never read Anita Shreve before and this book was good, but I would not run out and buy any of her other books (unlike for example Jodi Picoult). Good thing it was a $4 book, because that's about all I would have paid for after reading it. Might be a good library book to borrow because it's not even really worth lending to family and friends. May 6, 2009
Book Review: A Wedding in December
I am a bit behind, but I finished this book during TV Turnoff Week (which went fabulously well by the way, and some of the changes have become permanent in our house namely the new rule that the kids must be dressed before the TV is turned on in the mornings). I had bought this book just after Christmas for about $4 and finally picked it up to read. The title is fairly self explanatory, as the main plot of the book is a wedding happening in December. It is a group of friends that get together for a wedding of two people that were a couple in high school, but they split up and married other people and then met at their 25 year high school reunion and got back together (and we will ignore the fact that he was still married when they reunited). So the group of them who were so close in high school get back together, some of them not having seen each other for 27 years and you can imagine that things are mildly different. The twist is that one of their friends died in high school, and the details of that fateful night have never been revealed completely. Also the bride has cancer, and is unsure of the future with her new husband. It's a good enough story, but takes a while to get into it. I have never read Anita Shreve before and this book was good, but I would not run out and buy any of her other books (unlike for example Jodi Picoult). Good thing it was a $4 book, because that's about all I would have paid for after reading it. Might be a good library book to borrow because it's not even really worth lending to family and friends.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment