September 14, 2008

School News

The kids just finished their 4th week of school. Quinn seems to have adjusted well to all day (8 AM - 3 PM) but I think he misses having so much free time to spend in the EDP program. He had his first spelling test on Friday and aced it, getting 10 out of 10! They were easy words, but we prepared every night and James did a "test run" with him on Thursday night. So I knew he was ready, but you can't be there with them so you never know how they'll perform in school. It's interesting to embark on a new journey with him, you want them to grow up but then there's so much that is out of your control. Parenting is never easy, just different. Keely is enjoying Pre-K and loves getting homework, even if just once a week. Her teacher calls her "Kiwi" after her favorite fruit and Keely seems to be behaving well in class. She's light years ahead of her almost 5 years, and the whole school seems to know her already. She's a typical girly girl, with friends of all ages. Yesterday, we went to the Fall Festival at the school and she seemed to know everyone there -- teachers, staff & students included.

On Friday, I took the kids to visit their old preschool, Willowcreek Montessori. Quinn spent about 1.5 years there, and did the Kindergarten program with Mrs. Gail before starting K at Blessed Sacrament. Keely was there from just when she was potty trained at 2 years, 3 months until this past May. She really grew up there, and the teachers miss her incredibly. They were all happy to see both kids, as were Quinn and Keely happy to see everyone. We were so fortunate to have that school, those teachers, and the friends made while they were enrolled there. I highly recommend Montessori and if in the SLC area, this school in particular. The teachers are so caring, and there's hardly any turnover as in most day cares and preschools. The foundation that was formed for my kids was unmatched, and I am so grateful as a working mom to have had such caring and wonderful people take care of and teach my children for part of their childhood. And because I can't do a post without pictures, here's a couple of the kids from their time at the Montessori school.
Spring Program, 2008
Spring Program 2007
Quinn with Mrs. Gail, Spring 2007

1 comment:

Linda said...

Erin I agree with you...parenting is never easy and there are no instructions with each child! This is a learn as you go program for all. Have a nice week!