September 10, 2008

Book Review: The Art of Keeping Secrets

My search for the third in a series of "The Art of..." books led me to this one. For those interested, the book that kept coming up in my searches was "The Art of War" but that didn't interest me. So I kept searching and found this fiction book. I have never heard of the author, but the subject sounded interesting. The book opens two years after a woman has lost her husband in a solo plane crash. She has immersed herself in writing for the local newspaper, and raising her two kids -- a boy named Jake and a girl named Keeley! When I read that name, I knew it was meant for me to read this book lol, even though the name is spelled entirely wrong :) Anyways, the book starts out with the woman learning that her husband's plane has been found with his remains, as well as the remains of a woman who was onboard with him! So enter doubt, wonder, secrets, and discoveries. It weaves a web of stories together and tells the story from
two people's perspectives. It's a premise that strikes the hearts of every married woman -- how much do you really know about the person you love most? And how can you deal with doubt when that person isn't there to confirm or deny the story? I enjoyed this book, and recommend it. It is set in North Carolina, and is semi reminiscent of Nicholas Sparks novels but not as cheesy. She has four other books and I think I may try another one.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Erin thanks for another book I will have to pick up. Right down my line of books. I ended up reading two by Ann Hood.