
Flash forward a few years. When we lived in Tucson, we used to go to a used bookstore called Bookman's. We liked the play areas they had and we'd often let the kids choose a book to buy. One time, when Quinn was about 3, he chose this book, Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey. I had no idea what the book was about, neither did he. I think he picked it because he's always been into boats. But when we got home and read it, I realized it was about 9-11 and the story of an old fireboat that was used on that day and the days after to put out the fires of that horrible tragedy.
Quinn still loves this book, and I love reading it to him. We read it last night, and he read part of it to me this time :) It is such a wonderful story, and if you have kids I highly recommend it. I also think it's a great way to explain part of what happened to our country on that day. Now that it's been 7 years since that happened, we all know it's important that we don't get complacent and for me, this is a way that I remember -- simple as it may sound, and a way that I can explain it to Quinn and Keely as they grow up.
1 comment:
I have read this book and its one of my favorites, I always read it to my classes to talk about 9/11, good pic Quinn-o!!
Post a Comment