The first quarter of school ended in early November,
followed by the usual requisite two days off of school. Report cards and
conferences followed.
For Quinn, there were no conferences but there were also no surprises.
I have to say, after the first quarter at Poe I am pretty pleased. We receive progress
reports from most of Quinn’s teachers every two weeks. If things were going
south, we would know pretty quickly. However, we had nothing to worry about.
When you open up the math reports and see that your child has over a 100%
average, you just know he’s going to be fine. He received all A’s and one A-,
good enough to place him on the all-A Honor Roll. There was a ceremony at school
to acknowledge the all-A and A/B Honor Rolls…but he forgot to tell us what
time, or he never knew what time it would be. Turns out it was held during
first period and we would love to attend in the future. Quinn seems to have
adjusted well to middle school and he’s doing great.
We did have conferences for Keely. She is doing really well.
Her teacher really enjoys having her in class. She seems to be behaving nicely,
not getting too caught up with her friends and concentrating on getting her
work done. I do think she strives to be a good student, but sometimes
distractions get in the way of that. Thankfully, 4th grade seems to
be going well. Her report card was good too, mostly 3s and 4s. From her teacher’s
remarks in the conference, I would have expected more 4s but I guess he wanted
to give her room to improve. I’m not sure all the teachers are on board with
the new grading system – it’s supposed to be rating children according to what
they know at the end of the quarter and then rating them independently each
quarter on what they are learning. In any event, her grades were still good and
it’s not worth making a fuss over. A 4th grade report card is not
going to make any difference in her college applications.
The kids also had their well checks, which coincided with
birthdays. They are both doing well, in fact we had not been at the doctor at
all (save one visit for Keely’s acid reflux) since their well check last year.
That’s a good sign that they are healthy and well. Our two main issues (and
they are relatively minor in the grand scheme of things) are Keely’s acid
reflux and Quinn’s nose bleeds. We monitor Keely’s acid and she takes Zantac
each night to keep it under control. It seems every fall Quinn’s nose bleeds
are at their worst and we talk to the doctor about them, then they die down.
Sure enough, that’s what happened again. The doctor recommended Quinn get a set
of blood work done now to see if he has any clotting issues, in addition to the
regular blood panels (including cholesterol). It’s no rush, but we will get
that done in the next month or so. He’s not anxious because he hates needles
and blood (makes the bloody noses very fun…not!). As for weight and height,
they are both around the 50% for their ages. Quinn is due for a very big growth
spurt, and I even think he’s grown since the visit. I judge that pretty
unscientifically though based on how he compares to my own height. Let’s just
say he’s very close to looking me eye to eye, and I’ve never been anxious to
reach that day. I have to accept it though, because it’s happening and very
soon, he will be taller than me. Keely is not as petite as she was last year
but still very normal for her age. She didn’t like being called petite anyways
so that’s a good development. I have the numbers but I think the kiddos are
past the age where I report their heights and weights so I will keep them for
their memory books. Suffice it to say, they are doing well and very health and we
are very grateful!
No comments:
Post a Comment