On Sunday, I ran my 3rd half marathon, the
Woodrow Wilson Bridge Half Marathon. This race was supposed to be run on
October 6th but was postponed for 5 weeks due to the government shutdown.
I’ve recently read that the November 10th slot was the only possible
weekend that worked for all 5-7 jurisdictions involved between the original
date and the end of the year. I’m happy that they found that date and were able
to hold the race – this was my only fall half planned and I wanted to run it to
see what I could do with my time. The postponement was frustrating but I think
I prepared well nonetheless.
The hamstring soreness that I had been experiencing was
diminishing run by run as the date approached. I honestly think that all the
stretching, heat and incorporating some yoga into my routine helped immensely.
In the end, it didn’t bother me at all on race day!
Pre-race, I had penne a la vodka with garlic bread for
dinner. In hindsight, I am not sure that was the best decision. I had already increased
carbs all week and I think the increased gluten the night before the race left me bloated and unsettled. I think it would have been better if we used brown
rice pasta – though arguably not as tasty. Also in retrospect, I did not eat
enough calories the day before the race and I expended more energy than I
typically do. This was not a good combination and something I will do better
with next time. Hydration wise, I was fine – drinking coconut water and
Gatorade all day but calorically I dont' think I consumed enough.
Other than my first fast mile (9 minutes), I ran a well executed
race. I slowed myself down for Miles 2 though 8 and dialed it in, running a
pretty consistent 9:30 pace. I did get hungry pretty early on, and ate my first
snack (Honey Chews) at about 3.5 miles in. I also took the Gatorade and Water
at all water stops. Sometime after 5 miles, I felt better and that’s when I was
able to run most consistently. My A goal was to beat 2 hours (9 minute miles)
but I knew I wanted to start slow and conserve energy for the last few miles.
That’s exactly what I ended up doing. I hit the bridge which is Mile 9 and one
of the only hills on the course (the rest are rolling) feeling great. I was
passing people up and down that bridge. I hit the 10 mile marker at 1:34ish and
started to do some quick calculations in my head. With a fast 5K to finish, I
could come close to my goal. I turned on the jets, continued passing people and
saw paces in the 7s and 8s on my Garmin. I ended up running about a 26 minute
5K, pretty quick for me considering it was the end of a half marathon. I
finished with some juice left in my legs, and so so close to my A goal with a
time of 2:01:28. If I could have shaved 6-7 seconds off each mile, I could have
beat 2 hours. That’s easily attainable for me in my coming races. I now know I
can do it, I just have to execute another good smart race and I’ll get it done.
Overall, I really liked this race. It was point to point,
and I wasn’t sure how I would like that but I did enjoy the course. The GW
Parkway is one of my favorite places to run, the race size was smallish (under
2,000 runners this year) and it was a well managed race. I am not sure if I
will do it again, but I’d say the chances are good that I will do it again
sometime in the future. The weather ended up being perfect – starting in the
low 40s and ending right about 50 and sunny.
My race recovery was a little tough, I think mostly due to the
4AM wakeup call and not getting enough rest after the race. I was pretty
knocked out through Monday night, and ended up not feeling too great on Monday
(stomach wise). I’m starting to wonder if 13.1 leaves my immune system
weakened, but I’m not sure I could have
done anything more to prevent that letdown. It’s definitely something I want to
figure out though, because I can’t get sick after each half. What I also know
now is that the half is a distance I really enjoy. It’s enough distance that I
feel accomplished but not so much that my body is shredded. That’s not to say I
won’t do other distances – I like the 10MI and I haven’t yet ruled out another
full marathon – but I definitely want to keep focusing on 13.1 and better my
time.
I’ll do a post on my 2014 plans, but I already have 2 halfs
lined up for February/March, plans for races in April and am thinking beyond
as well. First up though, one more half for 2013. I will be pacing my sister
through her first half marathon. I’m excited for that, I hope I can be a good
pacer and coach through the race – and I’m proud of her for working towards
this goal!
No comments:
Post a Comment