Ah, almost the end of October. We are ready for Halloween...costumes check, pumpkins check, candy check, fall festival check. Even James is getting in on the costume act this year. I'll save a photo of that for the actual date.
Since I last wrote about life in general, Quinn was moved out of his class to the AAP class. It was all a bit fast and surprising, because as I mentioned the discussions I had with the teachers at school were that he would be evaluated at the end of the first quarter and not moved until January. After some conferring though, we got a surprise phone call on Saturday saying that he would be moved to the new class that Monday. Only problem was the message was on my work phone, meaning I didn't get it until Monday morning after Quinn was on the bus to school. No problem though, he was suave as usual and took it in stride. I knew he would be thrilled, and he was. The main reason for the abrupt change was that the class was starting advanced math lessons that Monday, and the later Quinn joined the more he would have had to catch up. So they concluded that he was ready and moved him. He's been there for 2 weeks now and really likes it. I can tell the work is more challenging and he seems to like that. His teacher said it's a pleasure having him in class, and hopefully that continues. He also got an A on his geography test so quiz him on Virginia facts when you see him next :)
On another note, because I like to talk about both good and bad things...Quinn seems to be sewing his oats a bit. On Saturday, he got upset because we were going to the fall festival (Keely's choice for her birthday). He wanted to go to a party at his friend's house but we were having family time. When I say he got upset that is putting it lightly. Picture a 10 year old boy having a full on temper tantrum...irrational, screaming, hiding in his closet. It was not pretty. I handled it poorly. Thank God for James. He calmly talked Quinn through it, and got him to come to the car on his own accord (albeit nearly 30 minutes later). Quinn even calmed down and enjoyed himself, which I was really happy about because I didn't want him to ruin our activities by being a spoilsport. We suspect lots of reasons for this outburst...but are not happy with how irrational and irrate he became. Perhaps he is just testing us. He's always been the child who is pretty calm, mellow, sort of low maintenance. I didn't expect this from him. But children grow and change, and he's coming into a new stage in his life. He's a pre-teen I suppose although I don't want to admit it. I've seen flashes of independence from him, but this was scary. It is not how a maturing 10 year old should handle a situation he does not want to be in. Anyways, James got him through it and hopefully we can tackle things slightly different next time so that he doesn't act the same way.
Now back to good news. A benefit of living near the Nation's Capital and our rich American history. Class Field Trips have begun. Last week, Quinn went to the National Symphony Orchestra. He said it was pretty boring, although his favorite part was when the audience got to make a "rainstorm" using noises from their hands and feet. Today is another field trip day. Keely's class is headed to the DC Aquarium downtown. Quinn is at Jamestown. We had to have him at school at 6:15 AM and he won't return until 5 PM. They got a nice sunny day, albeit chilly. I am so excited for him, and he was so excited too - he jumped out of bed at 5:30 AM. He is not a morning person so I know that a sign of true excitement! I'm sure classes in other places go on cool field trips, but these seems a little out of the ordinary for normal class trips. I'm excited for the kids to have these experiences and hoping that they not only enjoy it but realize that they are lucky to explore such interesting places and activities.
One more thing before a couple of pictures...Quinn will participate in the 'Human Development' class at school in December. You know, the one where they take the boys in one room and the girls in the other and talk to them about the changes of life. It was in 5th grade when I was younger but I guess they have pushed it up a year - considering that girls are developing earlier that makes sense. He was like "ewww, I don't want to learn about that" at the mention of the word puberty...haha, but he has no choice. Like it or not, it's coming and he'd better learn sooner rather than later!
And now a couple of photos I have taken with my phone over the last week. A sign that your son needs a haircut...and proof that siblings can snuggle (taken from my view on the treadmill, and notice Rudy cuddled up with them).
No comments:
Post a Comment