October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween!

Another Halloween has come and gone.  I often wonder when will be the last of the dressing up, trick or treating, carving pumpkins.  I'm sure we have a few more years.  I actually don't really like Halloween....it's gotten so much bigger than when we were kids. 

This year, Keely decided on a vampire.  Quinn was a wizard, only fitting after it became the year of Harry Potter for us.  We had no idea how many trick or treaters to expect, and I was disappointed because we had a lot of candy left over. 

The kids went out about 6:30 and got about 1.5 hours in, doing the circle near our house and a loop around our block.  Quinn went with his best bud Jack and another boy from his new class, Tyler.  Keely went with Julia and another little girl in the neighborhood.  Actually they all started out together but ended up splitting up.  I was the designated trick or treat parent, and James stayed home to hand out candy.  He dressed up for the first time in the 18 years I have known him (actually, I think he dressed up in college once but I wasn't there so that doesn't count).  He didn't scare many kids, despite the blood flowing down his scary mask. 

The kids got a lot of candy...as usual Keely ate a lot along the way.  Quinn ate not one piece.  When we got back to J&J's house, Quinn would not empty his bag and trade the way the other boys were doing.  Keely dumped out the remains of her bag and gave it to Jack.  She's so funny! 

Oh, another tidbit - Quinn got tired of his robe about halfway through, went home and changed into a ninja mask with sword.  The boys also had a funny experience at one home - it's actually our adjacent back neighbors - when they went up to say trick or treat, they were told that they needed to give candy to the homeowners instead of getting candy.  It's a group home so we aren't dealing with typical homeowners here, but we all thought that was a little strange! 

So Halloween has come and gone, and with it begins the official holiday season!  I can't believe it is now November and we are rapdily heading towards Thanksgiving and making Christmas plans!

No comments: