October 26, 2011

Eight

On Sunday, my baby turned eight years old.  She was so thrilled for her birthday weekend.  On Friday, she brought cookies into her class to kick off the celebration.  Nana, Papa and Annie joined us for the big event, arriving on Friday night...oh, Henry too of course.  Saturday she had a soccer game and scored her very first goal of the season...actually, not only her first goal but I believe the team's first goal (no, they're not very good - a lot of first time players on their team).  She was so thrilled, and believed her pre-game banana was most definitely the reason!  After soccer, we ordered her cake.  She picked Barbie Ballerina and chose it to say Happy Birthday KCD (initials, just like her big brother had chosen a month ago).  After discussion of a number of choices for the day's activity, Keely chose Cox Farms.  This is a big fall festival out in Centreville, about 45 minutes away from our house.  There was a corn maze, slides, hay ride, animals, apple cider...and a LOT of people.  Everyone seemed to know this was the last great weather weekend before Halloween and they showed up in droves.  We didn't get there until about 3:30 and by that time, the parking lot was jammed and lines were long for slides and the hay ride.  The cost was also quite ridiculous at $15 per person.  I don't think the adults should have to pay that much, given that most of it is geared towards kids.  We stayed for a couple of hours though and both kids had a fun time.  The adults even rode down some of the slides to get our money's worth!  We got to take a small patch pumpkin home too, and shopped a bit in the store before leaving.  Keely's choice for her birthday dinner was Silverado, a local restaurant around the corner from our house and what some proclaim to be the best restaurant in Annandale.  I haven't tried enough others to agree, but I do agree that the food is fantastic.  We had a lovely meal, even though we had to wait a while for a table.  After dinner, we let Keely open her presents even though her birthday wasn't until the next day.  She got Crocs (to match her little cousin), earrings, a "K" necklace, sticker book, Barbie cell/camera/purse set from Mom and Dad.  From Nana and Papa, she got a Hermione wand and a charm bracelet and Annie got her the first charm, an angel.  Quinn got her 6 packs of gum, and her excitement at this was hilarious - she's definitely easy to please!

On her actual birthday, it was a pretty typical Sunday with CCD in the morning.  We then went down to Old Town Alexandria to enjoy a lovely afternoon, with shopping and a late lunch/early dinner (linner as Quinn called it) at a very good Irish restaurant.  Then it was back to our house for her cake before our guests departed.  I took a video of her birthday song, which was one of many times she was sung to over the weekend.  She is definitely a lucky girl!  


In so many ways, Keely acts much more mature than her 8 years.  I have to remind myself that she is still a child with a lot of growing to do.  I wish she could stay sweet and little forever, but I know that will not happen.  She is still a handful but her personality is unmatched.  She is a very loving girl, constantly kissing and hugging us and telling us "Love You".  She loves to sing, dance and most definitely lives life to the fullest.  As we all should...and I hope that she keeps that as she grows and develops into a young woman and beyond!

1 comment:

Linda said...

OMG Erin - I can't believe Keely turned 8!! To me I still see her as four or five. I am so glad to see you are still BLOGGING! I just did a post - I am really going to try at keeping it updated. Hard to believe Halloween is tomorrow! Enjoy!!