June 22, 2011

A Little R&R

On Saturday, we took a little break from what has been the constant cleaning, organizing and unpacking that our lives have become since we moved into the house. The kids were going a little stir crazy from all the time in the house and all the trips to Home Depot :) So we decided not to do that for a bit, at least for some of the day on Saturday. (You couldn't expect us to take a whole weekend day off, of course!)

We debated a few ideas...there is so much to see and do in such a short distance. And we have plenty of time and opportunity to do it now!We decided to head downtown to see the Jefferson Memorial. That one is the hardest to get to from Metro, but we did initially intend to take the Metro. However, after trying to park and locate the Pentagon Metro stop unsuccessfully, we ended up just driving downtown. We got a nice parking spot in the small lot right on the Tidal Basin and walked the short distance around to see Thomas.

Oh, first though I should mention a quick unintended side trip we took on our way downtown. I took a wrong turn (that's how we learn the roads...seriously!) and we ended up driving right past the parking lot for Roosevelt Island. I've never been before, but our neighbor told us about it and we decided to stop since we were driving right by. There's a footbridge from the parking area to take you across the Potomac onto the island which sits right in the middle between Virginia and the District (oh, I should mention that we decided to start calling DC 'The District' since we are now locals as it seems the thing to do). Anyways, on the island are a few trails and quick hikes but also a monument to Teddy Roosevelt. It's pretty impressive, although certainly off the beaten path. The monument area is under renovation but it's a nice quick walk up there to explore. I'm sure we will be back to try the other trails :)Anyways, back to Jefferson. After visiting the memorial, we walked back around the Tidal Basin and rented a paddle boat for 4. We spent time boating around and enjoyed nice views of Jefferson and Washington monuments. The kids loved it, and Quinn even tried his hand...err, feet at paddle boating. It was tiring but fun!We then headed home, and got there in about 25 minutes. I'm still in awe that we can be to such incredible (mostly) free amenities and be home that quickly! In fact, I should mention that I'm still in awe that we live in Virginia. There's just something about this area that I love, and that feeling has only been renewed in our first 2 weeks here. Yes, there's traffic and yes, houses cost more - but it's all worth it to me and I don't feel like our quality of life has suffered. I'm hoping my answer is still the same in the days and months to come, but for now I am very happy we moved back to the East Coast!

No comments: