When we arrived in Virginia, we headed over to our new house for a walk through. It went well, and was mostly purposeful in informing me of things that are present in the house that I couldn't remember or hadn't looked at during our short visit in April. I am slightly embarrassed to say we only spent about 20 minutes, or maybe half hour in the house and I didn't even venture into the backyard or the garage. Crazy, I know. In any event, I was pleasantly surprised with a lot of the features I saw at the walk through (i.e. ceiling lights, closet space - a coat closet and a linen closet!). My realtor was laughing as I walked through exclaiming over the littlest of things...but I honestly didn't know what was there in some cases.After the walk through was the closing. For the second time in less than a week, we walked into a title company - this time as buyers. This was a face to face closing, meaning the sellers sat across from us and we all signed documents at the same time. It's the first state where we have ever done that. It was interesting, and I liked it because we got a chance to ask the sellers some questions and receive immediate answers. We also got a feel for their moving out of the house as we were worried about the amount of 'stuff' in the house and how they were planning to get it all out in time. I left feeling more confident that they would actually be cleaning the house in addition to moving out their stuff. However, we still don't know but we'll find out for sure tonight...
The sellers have been renting the house from us the last week. We agreed to this to appease them because they wanted to be in the house until June 24th, but we compromised on June 7th. So we've been living in hotels since May 26th. We stayed in an extended stay here in Virginia for 3 nights when we arrived, then checked out on Friday and back in on Sunday for another 2 nights. That's 10 nights of hotels in total, in case you lost count. The reason for the check out was to head to New Jersey for the weekend - with two bonuses, two nights out of hotels and to see family.
The trip was fun, albeit exhausting. We saw lots of family, and it confirmed the true reason for moving back here. To be a 4 hour drive (yes, even in traffic) away is really amazing, and to watch the kids play with their cousins & to be spoiled by their grandparents truly makes the stress and struggle worth it.
Now we are focused on one thing, our move into the house. We will spend the night there tonight on sleeping bags, and the movers will be there at 7 AM tomorrow. We are so excited to get settled and I can't wait to sleep in my own bed again!
1 comment:
Erin - I am so glad to see you made it! Your journey looked truly amazing - BUT I didn't see the biggest ball of barbed wire or the biggest ear of corn anywhere? Just kidding, of course. You were able to experience so many wonderful places and I am so jealous. I can't wait to see the inside of the house. It is lovely and welcoming on the outside. Miss you already!
Post a Comment