I haven't started Christmas shopping yet, with the exception of one present for Quinn. Well, that's not entirely true. Yesterday we spent the afternoon shopping for people we don't know. Each year the kids' school participates in a program called 'Candy Cane Corner', which basically acts as a Sub for Santa type program. They need pretty much everything for needy families, including clothes, toys, toiletries, wrapping paper, you name it they need it. So we headed out to Shopko and bought clothes for a family of four, a couple of toys and a large roll of wrapping paper. Then we decided to keep on giving by heading over to Macy's where they have the annual Giving Tree program. There are trees set up at local businesses with ornaments for needy children. We picked two ornaments, one for a 9 year old boy and the other for a 11 year old girl. This one is a little more personal, and a little more fun because the needs are specific. We headed off to Target and Old Navy to fulfill these two lists. We purchased two pairs of pants, a winter coat and a remote control car with batteries for the boy. We got a pair of jeans, a top, boots and iTunes gift cards for the girl.
We are so fortunate to be able to give to programs such as these. If the situation were reversed, I know I would be counting on these programs to give my kids and our family the Christmas I couldn't. I think the kids really understood the point and for the most part really enjoyed spending time shopping for others.
We also went to the annual 'Festival of Trees' on Friday afternoon with the Martins. This was our first time there and it was quite moving. This is an event where people decorate and donate Christmas trees (and more goodies in most cases) and then all proceeds from the event (including admission) benefit Primary Children's Medical Center. The event was more sad than we thought though, because most of the trees are in memory of a person who has died of cancer or something else. And they mostly have pictures and stories accompanying the trees. A couple of hours of looking at things like that can make you a bit sad, but then grateful for having the gift of life. It hit the girls (Keely and Victoria) hard, the boys not so much. I am glad we went though and now I know a place to go if I want to make a very generous donation to this hospital and get a gorgeous Christmas decoration. Liliana and I each found one and really seriously thought about buying them (at $900 and $450 each!).
In the spirit of the season, I am glad we are taking time out to help others. Even the littlest of help counts as it truly does take a village. In these tough times, even more need help and having been out of work myself (though fortunately not at the holidays) I know firsthand how scary it is not to know if and how things will work out. We know that a few people's Christmas mornings will be brighter because of the work we did in a few hours' time one Sunday afternoon.
No comments:
Post a Comment