The kids started school yesterday, Keely entering 1st grade and Quinn 3rd. I guess you could say I went back to school too. I started my second year as HSA Vice President.We had the Newcomers' BBQ on Sunday night when we arrived back from Vegas. It was a whirlwind as I expected. The President was working her full time job so I was pretty much in charge. After a bit of confusion at the beginning, we managed to pull it together thanks to a great group of volunteers and it went really well. It was also well attended since we have over 40 new families at the school this year! I met several families that night, as well as a few more yesterday morning at Coffee & Donuts (which I normally cannot attend because I have to go to work, but could this year -- can I mention again that I LOVE working from home on Mondays?!?!). I just love meeting new people and sharing commonalities...and there seem to be lots this year. I've met three people from New Jersey in the last 2 days! Small world and nice to have some more Jersey folks out here in Utah :)
But back to the kids. We were all set to go...school supplies bought and labeled, backpacks packed, uniforms washed and ready to wear. Keely was beyond herself with excitement for her first day of "real" school. While she has 1/2 days all this week, next week she will be in school for the full day of 7 hours. She gets a real desk and has all the full fledged school supplies (and work) that come with being a 1st grader. Eating in the lunchroom and recess are her highlights, things she has never gotten to do at this school. Her first day was awesome. She loved it. She did say though that recess was her favorite part of the day :)
Quinn was not as excited about the return to school. He thought summer was too short. For him, it's the same stuff but different year. He knows the work to come, and he is anticipating a more strict year with Mrs. A in 3rd grade. Don't get me wrong, he likes school and he's glad to be there. But he likes summer more :) I know there's a point when kids don't "love" school, and maybe we're there. We'll see. He did have a great first day as well. He liked seeing all his friends and getting back to playing soccer at recess. The work hasn't really begun yet...no homework this first week and only an easy spelling list with 14 words.
And here we go, another year has begun. Soccer begins this week as well and both kids have games on Saturday!
No comments:
Post a Comment