March 5, 2010

What Possesses Her?!?!

We had a rough start to this week with Keely. I walked into EDP after a long Monday at the office and was greeted with that look. You know, the look saying that my child was bad today and I am in for the speech of what she did wrong. I dislike getting that look. I'm sure everyone does!

So what did she do this time? She took a pencil into the bathroom and wrote on the wall and the inside of the stall. She was sent to the principal's office...which I believe is her 3rd time there this year! The talk she recieved from the principal did sink in -- Keely told me a good bit about what she said and I think she really got it. They'd saved the damage so that I could see it and then Keely had to clean it. It really wasn't all that bad and we were able to get it off easily with some cleaner. I was steaming though. I have such trouble with my emotions and I just get in a funk, letting it affect everything. It took me a good hour or so just to calm myself down. I even considered letting Keely win and not going to the gym that night (she enjoys the Kids' Club and I wanted to punish her). I did take away her favorite earrings, her DVD player watching and hair curling. I know that those sound like strange things but she's just not your typical child. She doesn't have favorite toys or even games...her DS or TV is not even a threat. So that was Monday.

On Tuesday, I get the look again. At this point, I don't even want to walk in to pick them up. The report today was much more minor in nature and partly the school's fault. They have Avon catalogs in EDP since the P.E. teacher sells it on the side. Keely took a catalog into the gym, opened to the bra page and was flaunting it in the boys' faces. It's actually kind of humorous typing that. She wasn't intending anything bad, I think she just got caught up with the other kids' reactions. No additional punishments because really the school shouldn't have those catalogs there.

The rest of the week has been fine so hopefully we just had a momentary blip in the good times with her. She continues to do excellent in Kindergarten class and I know she is ready for first grade now. She really enjoys her work and does her homework very well and very neatly. In fact, she's almost anal about her writing (this from the child who wouldn't write her name at all going into Pre-K). As for her behavior in EDP, I don't want to make excuses but she is there an awful lot, too much actually. This is her second year with only 3 hours of school and the rest of the time there. Quinn only had one year and I think that was enough. She is bored there, and when kids are bored they do things they shouldn't. Thank goodness we are almost at the end of this year. Come Fall, she will be in school 7 hours and I know she will not be bored. Plus they let 1st and up do their homework in EDP (not sure why they don't work with K) so she can have that opportunity. I know we'll always have our challenges with Keely but with the reduced time in EDP, it should be smoother. At least that's my hope...

No comments: