December 16, 2009

Smart Cookies

Last week when I picked the kids up from school one night, Quinn grabbed me right away bringing me over to the gym lobby to show me his newest achievement. Each week the students have a "Math Counts" competition where they have to answer a certain number of questions as fast as they can. If they get them all right in under 2, 3, or 4 minutes their name is put on the board in the lobby. Quinn and a few other children in his class achieved the 4 minute mark for the first time this year! He was quick to tell me that he's aiming for 2 and 3 minute marks soon, but honestly those are all 3th to 6th graders so it may be a ways off. He loves math and zooms through that part of his homework, so it was not a surprise. But it was fun to see him so excited about his good work :)

And while I am on the subject of smarts, we have had two other achievements this week as well. James passed the PE exam (Professional Engineer) and I passed the CQA exam (Certified Quality Auditor). Not totally surprising, especially James and the PE -- I just knew he would do fine on it having taken it myself 6 years ago. Oh, and not to leave Keely out...she has been working on her math skills also and is now counting without any effort to 100 by ones, fives and tens :)

No comments: