After a long drive on I-81 (I will be happy if I don't see that road for another 6 years!) and then a short jaunt on I-66 we arrived in DC. I just love the streets of DC. I am comfortable driving them since I spent 4 years there, at least 2 with my own car. Shortly after we arrived and decompressed with a short (and chilly) pool visit and met up with Nana, Papa, and Annie, we loaded up onto the Metro for a trip up in the Washington Monument. As I much as I like driving in DC, I like the Metro even more. It's such a clean, inexpensive and user friendly way to get around what could be a confusing city. Ah, such fond memories of trip on the 'tro. We got to the Mall in perfect time for our scheduled monument time. The weather was cool and pleasant, not at all what I expected for July in DC. Actually the entire time was good weather with low humidity and lower than normal temps. We went up in the monument and looked out all four sides, admiring the sites from each. After we descended we walked over to see the World War II memorial, which is spectacular at night.
Quinn outside Washington with Lincoln in the background...

I love this picture of Keely (James is a way better photographer than I!)...

I had to have James take my picture in front of this plaque at the top level of Washington...in case you can't read the text it says, National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark :)

The next day we descended on the Smithsonian with high hopes. We started with Air and Space and that was all she wrote for our museum touring. Oh well I've seen them all anyways and the kids just didn't want to spend hours and hours hopping from museum to museum. We all enjoyed Air and Space -- it has always been my favorite! After some R&R at the pool we headed back out to the Mall to walk all the way to Lincoln. The monuments are like hotels in Vegas...you think it's just right there, and then you're feet are killing you because it's a bit farther than it looked. The kids loved the reflecting pool...

And I would be remiss to omit this duckling. The kids were enamoured with it and its little duck family. I think they were more excited about the cute duckies than the history surrounding them!

The kids in front of Honest Abe...

Us on the steps of Lincoln, now with Washington in the background...

At the bottom of the stairs, time for more duck watching...

On the 4th, we decided to visit the National Zoo. I tell you, the main thing I love about DC is that all the museums and the zoo are free! James and I had gone to the zoo way back when and I knew the kids would like it. Here they are posing on the lion at the entrance...

Quinn in the head of a dinosaur...

After the zoo, we ate some lunch and took the red line to good ol' Brookland to see CUA. In contrast to how much Blacksburg and VT had changed, CUA seemed frozen in time. There was only one new building and I am sure there were other changes but mostly it seemed just like when I was there 11-15 years ago. We spent some time in the Basilica and I wished I had spent more time there admiring the crypts and passageways when I was a student. Then a short walk around campus and we were off. The trip down memory lane was complete :) And my favorite part was Papa..."so let's go back to the part where you said James visited you while you were here?!?!" I guess he never really knew!
That night we watched the fireworks from the roof of our hotel. They were the most spectacular fireworks I have ever seen in person. And what a great coup to not have to leave our hotel to have a great view :)
So that was our trip to DC. I have to close with this shot of my patriotic girl, all decked out with her souvenirs from Blacksburg and DC. Go Hokies and Go USA :)

The next morning, Sunday we departed DC and headed south on I-95 with our eyes set on the beach!
2 comments:
Erin the picutre of the kids by the rflecting pool is BEAUTIFUL!! You are so lucky to have visited this area so many times. Now I am a little disappointed that you did not include shots of the fieworks! And it is a neat thing that the museums are free.
P.S.
Can't wait to see the beach photos!!
Post a Comment