July 19, 2009

From Vacation to Staycation

Since it's taking me way too long to finish the story of our vacation (note to self: do it while it happens next time!), I will interrupt for present activities. And actually this event fits nicely into vacation story telling. Last I left off, we were headed from Blacksburg to DC. During that drive, I got a phone call on my cell phone from a Utah number I did not recognize. The voicemail left was from the kids' dentist, saying Keely had won 4 tickets to the new waterpark, Cowabunga Bay! I vaguely remembered entering their names in a drawing while we were there in mid-June. Double bonus -- no cavities for either one AND $100 in free tickets :)

So this weekend was hot as Hades and the only place to be was in a pool. Everyone's using the term "staycation" these days and this weekend was a pretty good example for us. We visited our local pool on Saturday which literally feels like a resort. I need to take a picture of the view -- the buffer trees and the Wasatch mountains behind -- because it looks like a resort pool but we are only 1 block from our house. Keely has really blossomed in her swimming ability and she went off the diving board by herself -- low and high (10!). I even went off the high dive doing a front flip at her request :)

To complete the staycation, we used the free water park passes today. We spent over 4 hours there, rode every water slide at least once and did the lazy river more than a few times. We all had a blast and I am not sure who's more tired, me or the kids! I didn't want to bring my camera in so I decided to jazz up the post with some pool pictures from the house in NC. We have 200 pictures from that week alone (thanks to Aunt Lois) so I need to use them somewhere!

Keely jumping into the pool...
Quinn swimming along on a Nemo floatie...
Keely cheesing it up for the camera...
And again, just enjoying the water...
And here's a montage of Quinn jumping onto and falling off the whale...scroll down real fast and it looks like a video :)




So that was our fun filled weekend -- and we didn't need to drive more than 10 miles from our house :)

No comments: