April 9, 2013

Spring Break


When we found out the newest member of our family was to enter the world in late February, we pinpointed Spring Break to travel to Florida to meet her and spend time with the rest of her family. I knew that was the only possible time we’d have to do this before summer break, and I didn’t want to let the opportunity slip by. Airfare was booked and the trip was much anticipated by everyone. 

Like all good things, it came and went so very fast and now it is but a memory. We all wished we could have stayed longer but it couldn’t be…work, school and life called us home.

















We traveled to Florida on Tuesday and spent five days, including Easter Sunday. We didn’t have hopes of doing much aside from spoiling a toddler and baby, helping with cooking and housework. I’m pretty sure we were helpful guests, and we even managed to see a few new things while we were there. 


There were the usual walks to the park and beach…so close to their house…walks with Nutmeg, often long boarding around the neighborhood for Quinn, and a couple of runs in the perfect Florida weather for me. On Thursday, we drove up to Viera and explored a nature preserve where we saw lots of birds and a few alligators. The bird watcher in me was enthralled trying to decipher the calls and identify the various species. We drove to Cocoa Beach on Friday and watched the first annual dog surfing competition…yes, I said dogs. Quite a site! We also stayed and watched some tandem surfing…think ice skating on surf boards complete with the men lifting women high above their heads, all while riding a wave. Again, quite a site! As the weather warmed up…it was in the upper 60s on the first day and low 80s the last…we spent more and more time at the beach. The water was chilly but the kids didn’t mind.

We kept some of the Easter traditions…dying eggs, egg hunts, baskets…but mostly it was a time to relax and spend time with family. I often pondered how people live in a place like that and get actual normal life activities done…I just wanted to chill out and was ready for a nap by 3 PM each day.














We had a great trip and can’t wait to see them again. Plans are already set for some fun summer time visiting, and I know that will be here before we know it!

No comments: