April 23, 2013

GOTG 5K

The seasons of Girls on the Go (GOTG) and Young Men in Motion (YMIM) wrapped up with a 5K on Saturday morning. The run was held at a local middle school and run in the neighborhood streets. It was a low key event, only serving the youth programs at three local elementary schools. Keely chose James as her buddy runner, which meant I was to run with Quinn. He missed it though since he was attending his first Boy Scout campout, so that meant Keely ended up with two buddy runners.



She did really well, running almost the entire time. She complained of a stitch or two, but pushed through. I honestly think it's because James was with us...he doesn't take the complaining and makes her push on, where I would probably say it's okay to walk a bit, all the while irritated in my head that we are walking :) In any event, the first part of the run was two loops around the neighborhood and then a small loop to get back to the start/finish line. I was timing us, and we were making great time...too great actually, so much that I thought we cheated or the course was too short. We finished in 27 minutes, 15 seconds. An amazing 5K time for not only Keely, but me as well! When we got home, James mapped the course and it turns out it was only 2.9 miles. It was still great time...had we ran the extra two tenths, we still would have finished under 30 minutes. Keely finished first of the GOTG participants from her school, and also beat all of the boys from YMIM from her school. A great day overall! We missed Quinn, but it was fun to spend time with just Keely and to enjoy running together on a crisp April morning.

No comments: