March 30, 2014

Last Week's Quick Hits

Friday was a hot mess at work, so I didn't even think to post the top five for the week. Thank goodness I stuck to my original plan and updated it throughout the week. So without further adieu, a belated update on the last week or so in my world...

-We attended a celebration for the end of the Keely’s basketball season. Playing basketball was something I didn’t push her into, she decided on her own that she wanted to (as she has done with most things in her life – case in point, when at age 2 she decided she was going to do ballet and I’d thought it best be time to find her a ballet class). She really enjoyed the season, though I can’t say it seems like it compares to soccer for her. But what I am grateful for is that she tried it out, learned some new skills, and says she wants to continue. She got paired with a really great coach, at random, and I couldn’t have been happier with the way it worked out. Well, except if there weren't umpteen schedule changes and a couple of games on a floor that was like a slip-n-slide making basketball pretty interesting.

-Quinn also played and finished his basketball season with ABGC. He was also paired with a great coach, who has seen in him promise and has helped to encourage Quinn’s strengths (defense) and work on his weaknesses (shooting and offense). He’s not really a team sport child, so I love that he showed the desire to play and now has joined a second league to play for another 8 weeks or so. He had the first game with the other league on Sunday (same coach, and most of the same players from his ABGC team). They won by 1 point in OT, and were so thrilled – especially because they only had 5 players!

-My first soccer game was canceled – because of, you guessed it, snow! As we quickly approach April, I am looking out at snow covered grounds yet again. Can anyone spell F-L-O-R-I-D-A? Because that’s where you may find us living after this long winter!

 -Keely finished up a 7 week session of indoor soccer last weekend. Their team has improved quite a bit, and they won most of their games and were competitive in all but one game when they lost. Most surprising is that Keely found a like (I won’t go so far as love) for playing goalie. I coached the 2nd game and had to put her in goal because there just aren’t enough girls on her team willing to play that position, and she was a fireball. She rocked it, I didn’t even know who that girl was – and after that, she played in goal each game and even started in goal playing most of the first half in the last game. James hit the nail on the head crediting playing basketball for her improved use of hands because now she knows she can catch a ball that big and isn’t afraid. She even says she wants to play goal when they start outdoor in a couple of weeks. I’m sure her skills are better used on the field, but it’s nice that she’s willing to try different things!


-I played my first soccer game on Saturday. Keely came and watched, my faithful cheerleader because it was raining the entire time. Once you were wet, it was fine. And thankfully it was a warm rain. I was nervous, but needn’t have been. I fell back into it, and was definitely one of the better players on the field. I played every position except goal, scored one goal, and our team won 6-1. It was a great game, and then reality set in. I am S.O.R.E. all capitals well deserved! Two days later, it’s not much better and I’m just hoping and praying that it gets better each time I play. I can’t be in this.much.pain after each game! But boy, was it fun. And for now, that makes the pain so worth it. I loved that Keely got to see me play, and I loved hearing her cheer ‘Go, Mom’ J

No comments: